Some folks say insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results each time…..

The trip to the lake today was a repeat of our trips last Thursday and Friday….  HOT, HOT, HOT, and no production.

The lake level  is at 518 above sea level.  Pool stage is 533.  The lake is now 15 feet low.  Water on the lower end of the lake remains clear.  Water mid-lake around McCown Valley is stained to murky.  The water temp this morning was 88 degrees when we put in at 7 a.m.   Winds were light today, 3 to 5.   Hardly a ripple on the water.  We fished from 7 until 10 a.m.

We fished some of the same locations we had last week.  These spots had produced some very nice bass Monday of last week.   On Thursday and Friday, we didn’t catch any and we had a few light bites, but no fish.  It was the same again today.  We marked bunches of fish hanging on the edges of ledges by deep drops (water that went from 1 to 3 feet almost immediately down to 20 or 30 feet).    We tried crank baits , top water, C-rigs, and T-Rigs.   I guess we should have shook some spoons at them.  The bites we got were on the T-rigs.  Red Shad seemed to be the color they preferred, if it could even be called a preference, the bites were so incredibly light.

There was no one on the lake when we launched.  We went straight up the lake and fished up there.  We saw no boats until we started back.  The first boat we encountered was behind the big island on the lower lake.   It was a bass boat fishing the shallows around the island.  There was also another bass boat fishing the east shore in the same area.    We we got back to the ramp, there were 3 other rigs besides ours in the parking lot.  While we were loading, a Triton came in.  The guy said that he had had a big day with the sandies and that he had also caught 3 LMBs.  His luck was much better than ours, but it appeared that he had fished the lower end of the lake.

The only excitement came while I was throwing a square-bill crank bait that runs about 8 to 12 feet deep.  I was fishing one of those flat points with the big drops offs paralleling the drop off.  The lure came to a sudden, complete stop.  I figured it had hit a rock.  I just let it sit so it would float up and I could start cranking again.  This was well and good, except that after a moment, the rod was nearly yanked from my hands.  I set the hook and a huge fish boiled on the surface.  I fought it for a minute or two, then it broke free.  It never broke the surface, so I never saw it.  But, my lure came back with a single fish scale on the front hooks.  The scale was the size of a silver dollar.  It was pale in color.  I assume I hooked a big carp or buffalo…  It was thrilling for a moment.  The good news was that I got my lure back.

The Lofers Bend East ramp continues to be excellent for launching.