It was a good thing we didn’t know what day it was… Nope, did not know it was the 13th, did know it was Friday, and yep, we did know it was a full moon… at least that was evident when we walked outside this morning.  We got up early, as in 4:30 a.m. , and headed to the lake.   The Boss whipped up some ham and biscuits and I double checked the weather as there were severe storms down toward Whitney last night.  The weather was supposed to be cloudy and low winds according to the hour by hour forecast.

We rolled into the gate at McCown Valley Park at 5:54 a.m. this morning.  We were impressed that the gate was already open.   We were the first on the ramp today… the first of many folks as this was an “international event” day for Lake Whitney.   There was a $700,000 mansion teetering on the edge of White Bluff Cliffs.  Actually, a portion had already fallen into the lake.   Lots of folks were interested in seeing the demolition of the house today.  We didn’t go down that way.  We figured it would be a zoo and there would be lots of sight seers there.

Here were the conditions for today:


  •  Air Temperature :    72° at 6 a.m.
  • Wind:  2 to 3 mph
  • Skies:  Cloudy to Partly Cloudy
  • Water Temperature:  80°
  • Water Level:  521.55 feet or about 11 feet 6 inches low.  I am not sure how accurate that reading is.  What I can tell you is that based upon the structure we fish, the lake was up several inches, maybe 6 inches.  There was a significant rain in Whitney Thursday evening.
  • Water Clarity:   Generally as clear as Whitney gets, but trashy in some of the creeks due to the rapid rise of the water.

Actually, it was a great day for fishing.   We were here early enough to give top water fishing a good shot, which we did.   We started with top water lures… me with a Pop-R and The Boss with a H2O top water.  The fish liked the Pop-R.   I caught 4 and lost two more.  The Boss lost two on a Pop-R after she ripped the H2O off and dug out a Pop-R for herself.  But, she wasn’t a happy camper.  She also tossed her stand-by T-Rig with a Zoom worm, but never got bit on the T-Rig.   Fishing was fun up until about 10 a.m.  It stayed cloudy and relatively cool while the wind stayed down enough that it was easy fishing.   We did pick up on a pattern, most all the hits came around wood.

I hope you like this slide show…  Lets us give you a lot more pictures and you can view them “full screen” if you like.
About 10 a.m. we moved on down to the Bee Bluff area.  The Boss picked up two fish on a T-Rig down there.

The Boss is much happier

The wind stayed down all morning and the 82° temperature was down right H-O-T after about 10:30 or 11.  Actually, the worm fishing was just beginning to turn on.  But we are getting old or lazy…  we were off the lake at 11:30.   We had fished for 5 1/2 hours.  We boated 6 fish.  I lost 3 on top water and The Boss lost two.  We had several other bites on a T-Rig.   Pretty darn good for a Friday the 13th and a full moon.  Actually, we heard later on the news that the combination of the Friday 13 and a full moon is relatively rare and doubly bad luck… In this case, ignorance was bliss.  We had a great day.  The biggest fish was only 2 1/2 pounds, but heck a fish is a fish.

The early morning top water bite is good… you can find fish with a T-Rig later in the day.  The pattern we had today was shallow water and fish the wood….  sometimes you have to use your big motor to get from one stick-up to the next.

For those with other interests, you can motor (carefully) up to White Bluff and see the fallen mansion.