As the old saying goes: “You have to make hay when the sun shines”…  Well, Tuesday was one of those days..  relatively warm, lots of sunshine and not much wind.  We can’t turn those days down, life is too short.  We thought about going on Monday, but decided that wind looked better on Tuesday even though it was a little cooler.   And, we were not the only ones with the bright idea to get out on the lake.  There were some other folks on Whitney as well.

The stats for the day were:

  • Air Temperature at our 10 a.m. launch:  50° (or 47° if you believed the dashboard temperature in the pickup)
  • Skies:  Blue-bird clear.  Definitely an Uncloudy Day
  • Wind:  South, 1 to 2 mph
  • Water Clarity:  Stained on the main lake, clear back in the coves and creeks
  • Water Level:  522.35 or about 10 feet 7 3/4 inches low
  • Water Temperature:  47° at launch at the ramp / 50° in the coves and creeks later in the day
  • Cows:  They were not feeding on the way down to the lake, but were on the way back home…. maybe we left to early.

There was some fog down the lake toward the dam early, but it didn’t bother us any.

The wind stayed down most of the day, but was picking up a little when we left the lake about 2:30.  It was a lazy day on the lake.    As usual, we didn’t hurry down to the lake.  We like to wait until it warms up to at least 50° before we hit the water.   A few years ago, it wouldn’t have mattered, but now that we are getting a little older, we just don’t have the need to push it.  We are in it for the fun anyway and near freezing temperatures are not fun.

There were 3 other rigs in the parking lot when we got there….  seems they had pretty much the same ideas we had.  One boat was fishing the rip-rap at the bridge, and another was in Cedron Creek near where we usually fish.  So, we headed up to Bee Bluffs.. no need to crowd anyone; there is lots of water on Whitney.

We fished our favorite spots around Bee Bluffs.   I shook two fish off at the boat.  One about 8 or 10 inches and another I estimated at 2 pounds.  The Boss said they were both “small” fish.   They both were soft pickups and they both came straight to the boat and I didn’t get a good hook set in either.  They both came out of the exact same spot.  The two fish came on consecutive casts, around 11 a.m. from a deep rocky point.  They were the only bites we had all day.   I picked them up with a Carolina Rig.   The Boss had been fishing a T-Rig and a Spro suspending crank bait.  I had thrown a lip-less crank bait early.

We fished until lunch around Bee Bluffs and after a long lunch, we went back up to Cedron Creek and fished for a couple more hours.  But, we found nothing up there.  Not in the shallows around wood or on the flats, humps and points.

Here are some photos from the day:

The ramp at 10 a.m.

Fog down the lake at 10 a.m.

Another bass hunter

McCown Valley Ramp at 2:30 p.m.

Katy Bridge at 2:30 p.m.

The Parking Lot at 2:30 p.m.

I think I counted 8 or 9 rigs on the ramp at 2:30; one left just before we did.

No pictures of any fish… though we could have had at least one if The Boss hadn’t been intent on taking a picture of me landing the fish…  the net would have worked much better.. but, what the heck..  I at least got to see it..  not a huge fish, but a fish…  a 2 pounder.

We didn’t get to visit with anyone so I don’t know how anyone else did.  But, here is a rule of thumb that I use.. the amount of boat ridding.  There wasn’t much boat ridding given the number of folks out there.  For example, the fellow fishing the rip-rap at the bridge stayed there for an hour or so.  Maybe he was just fishing slow, or maybe he was doing some good…  don’t know.. but he wasn’t boat ridding to another spot…. what do you think?