Well, it was a little wind, but not much….  enough to make trolling work and to put a little chill in our old bones.

The weather guessers in Dallas said that we would have some mid-60 temperatures and partly sunny skies with 5 to 10 mph winds.

Well, maybe they got the wind partly right in Whitney….

The Stats at our 10 a.m. launch were:

  • Air Temperature:   50°
  • Skies:  Cloudy… totally cloudy
  • Winds: 3 to 5 mph (when we launched, but they steadily increased)
  • Water Temperature:  48°
  • Water Clarity:   Pretty Clear, visibility was 2 to 3 feet if not more.
  • Water Level:  53.09 or 9 feet 11 inches low

With the wind being what it was and no sunshine, the day started out cool and got a little cooler.  I had  left my coveralls in the pickup and had to go back for them.  The wind was going right through my jeans and long underwear.

At 10:30 I had hooked my first bass.  One that looked to be 15 or 16 inches long… definitely a keeper.   I got him to the boat and kneeled down to pick it up and he jumped off….  not a good sign.  We had picked him up on the same point that we last caught fish on Whitney.   So, I kept pitching my Texas Rigged worm around the point and then had another good bite.   But, it was a swing and a miss… then I decided to go get my coveralls.  Maybe a mistake.

We didn’t get another bite the rest of the day.   I had fished the first point with a T-Rig, as had The Boss.  I had made up my mind to fish a jig today and when we got back, I put a blue/black football jig on.   I fished it for another 2 1/2 hours without a twitch.  The Boss continued to beat the water with her T-Rig and occasionally throwing a Spro crank bait.  Nothing was interested in any of the things we put in the water.   We did find a few gulls working at the back end of a creek, but they must have been in training because they were not diving to frequently, only making “passes” at the water, like planes practicing take-offs and landings, but not touching down.

There were 4 rigs on the ramp at McCown when we launched.

And there were some Spring-Break folks camped out… some with kids out boating and fishing too.

The ramps at McCown  Valley and at Cedron Creek Park were both in great shape.

Cedron Creek Ramp

Cedron Creek Park and ramp open April 1st.

McCown Valley ramp

There were a total of 7 other rigs on the ramp at McCown when we arrived back about 1:30 or 1:45.  And we had seen at least two guide boats working to find whites and stripers, but I didn’t see them catch anything while they were around us.

It was a tough day and we called it quits early because the wind had picked up and the temperature seemed to be falling.  Not to mention that we were not getting any bites.   All of our (my) bites had come between 10 and 10:30 a.m.   Nothing since.   I think The Boss would have fished on, but I had got chilled in the first 30 minutes and never recovered from that.

The cows had been feeding on the way down to the lake, but on the way back they were lying around resting…  I think that was the fish story as well.

We really need that water temperature to get up around 60 degrees or better.. Or, we need to get some of those boys from the Texas Farm Bureau South 40 Trail to show us how to catch fish in cold water… obviously they knew how.